Two of the State’s Stalwart Aviation Scholarship Programs Join Forces to Benefit Students
The Frank P. Macartney Foundation (FPMF) and the Michigan Business Aviation Association (MBAA) have combined efforts to ensure the aviation foundation remains solid throughout Michigan long into the future. Both entities have long track records promoting the development and training of future aviation professionals through sponsorship of a variety of aviation scholarships. Since the FPMF’s inception in 1996, and MBAA’s start in 1998, the scholarship programs have awarded a long list of aviation training and cash awards, with a combined value nearing $1 million. Benefactors include aspiring pilots, aviation managers and maintenance technicians enrolled in aviation related college & technical school programs throughout Michigan. The training awards have been generously donated by some of the industry’s best trainer facilities and OEM’s, including FlightSafety International, CAE SimuFlite, Williams International, Aircare Solutions Group & Rockwell Collins. Cash awards and expense stipends are donated by the FPMF sponsors and MBAA Members who participate in the MBAA Alice Gustafson Memorial Golf Classic.
How to apply: Aviation students attending college, university or aviation oriented technical schools in the State of Michigan submit an application (see below) for one or more FPM-MBAA Aviation Scholarships. (Previous FPMF or MBAA recipients are not eligible.) Candidate eligibility and application requirements are included in the application form. Submit your application package no later than March 31, 2014 for a 2014 award.
The scholarships consist of the following:
- FPMF - MBAA Avionics Training Awards – Two (2) Pro Line 4 or 21 Computer Based Training (CBT) courses donated by Rockwell Collins. Select from a variety of courses offered to pilots or mechanics in support of the functionality of the Pro Line 4 or 21 instrumentation.
- MBAA Cash Awards - One (1) $1,000 (minimum) cash award offered to students enrolled in Aviation Management, Flight or Maintenance courses at colleges, universities or technical schools in Michigan.
- FPMF Cash Awards – Three to four cash awards at values ranging from $2,000 - $5,000 offered to students enrolled in Aviation Management, Flight or Maintenance courses at colleges, universities or technical schools in Michigan.
- FPMF - MBAA Flight Training Awards – Two (2) Cessna Citation Co-Pilot Initial Training Courses, donated by FlightSafety International. This is a two week aircraft specific pilot training course held at the FlightSafety Learning Center in San Antonio, Texas. A cash stipend to the recipient of this award may be included to help offset a portion of the cost of travel, meal and lodging expenses.
- MBAA Maintenance Training Award - One (1) King Air BE-200 Initial Maintenance Training Course donated by CAE SimuFlite. This is a 12-day aircraft specific maintenance training course held at the CAE SimuFlite Training Facility in Dallas, Texas. MBAA may also donate a cash stipend to the recipient of this award to help offset a portion of the cost of travel, meal and lodging expenses.
- MBAA Aircare FACTS Training Award - One (1) Aircare FACTS Training Course donated by the Aircare Solutions Group. This is a three day flight crew emergency procedures training course conducted at one of the Aircare FACTS training facilities located throughout the United States. MBAA may also donate a cash stipend to the recipient of this award to help offset a portion of the cost of travel, meal and lodging expenses.
- Williams International Engine Training Award - Two (2) Engine Service Training Courses donated by Williams International. This is a five day Line Maintenance Training Course conducted at the Williams International Training Center in Walled Lake, Michigan.
Interested students are encouraged to consult the Award Descriptions & Scholarship Applications below for course details & application requirements and are welcome to contact Cheryl Bush at email@example.com or Tara Paksi at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- MBAA Cash Award Description
- FPMF Cash Award Description
- FlightSafetyInternational Flight Training Award Description
- CAE SimuFlight Maintenance Training Award Description
- Aircare FACTS Emergency Training Award Description
- Williams International Training Award Description
- FPM Foundation Description
- Scholarship Application (Including Application Requirements)
All application packages must be postmarked by Friday, March 31, 2014. Applicants for all scholarship awards will be interviewed in person by representatives of FPMF and MBAA in mid to late May, 2014. Announcement of the recipients will be made shortly after completion of the interviews.
Presentation of the 2014 FPMF - MBAA Scholarship Awards will be made one of the two fundraiser events:
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
MBAA Alice Gustafson Memorial Golf Classic
Lyon Oaks Golf Course, Wixom, MI
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Frank P. Macartney Golf Classic
Bay Pointe Golf Club, West Bloomfield, MI
- From left to right: Luke Bowman, FlightSafety Recipient; Tom McLaughlin, WMU; and Chris Meeks, Cash Recipient
- From left to right: Alex Bloye, NMC Chief Pilot, Nathan Nitzh, recipient and NMC student, Steve Ursell, Northwestern Michigan College
- FlightSafety Training award recipient Luke Bowman (center), with FlightSafety marketing representatives Kyle Davis and Chuck Urad (L-R)
- 2103 Scholarship recipients, from left to right: Luke Bowman, Brandon Powers, Nathan Nitzh and Chris Meeks
- Left to right: Brandon Powers, Williams Engine & Rockwell Collins Training Award Recipient, attending MIAT, and Tim Kissel, MIAT
- Hilary Kerkstra, Western Michigan University, Recipient of the CAE SimuFlight King Air Training Award